Guaranteed First-Year Students
Residence at uOttawa is guaranteed to newly admitted first-year students who meet the following criteria and deadlines:
- Must be admitted to a full-time undergraduate program in the fall term
- Must not have already completed more than 5 university courses
- Must submit their residence application and pay the deposit by the deadline ()
Students from CEGEP or college admitted directly into second year also qualify for the housing guarantee.
This guarantee does not apply if you:
- have already completed more than five university courses or the equivalent
- have been admitted into a professional program.
- apply for a 4-month agreement.
Keep in mind that when we assign rooms, we will consider the residence and room type preferences you state in your housing application; however, we cannot guarantee that these preferences will be met.
The guaranteed offer of residence expires on June 1 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
Application period starts March 22, 2022.
Residence at uOttawa is also guaranteed to upper-year students who have signed 12-month agreements, have stayed in residence for the full 12 months, and want to return the following year. These students must meet the following criteria and deadlines:
- Have had a valid 12-month residence agreement until the end of the summer (i.e., have not terminated early).
- Submit a residence application and pay the deposit by the required deadlines. .
- Must apply for another 12-month agreement.
We cannot guarantee that students will be able to stay in the same room or even in the same residence. They may be required to move. We do our best to minimize room changes.
If students want to continue living with their current roommates, we ask that they list the names of these roommates in their application.
NOTE: Students who stayed in residence during the 2021-2022 academic year for 8 months or who submitted an early termination request to leave before the end of their agreement do not qualify for a housing guarantee. Please review the information under “Non-Guaranteed Students”.
If you do not meet the above listed eligibility criteria for a housing guarantee, or if you have applied after the , you may still apply to live in residence. All full-time students are welcome to apply for housing in residence, but we cannot guarantee availability.
Application period starts March 22, 2022 for new students and March 29, 2022 for those currently living in residence for the 2021-2022 year.
Should there be any availability after assigning all the students with a housing guarantee, we will issue housing offers to non-guaranteed students on a first come, first served basis. The earliest possible offer will be sent toward the end of June, and then continuously throughout the summer as vacancies occur.
We may not be able to accommodate all applications. If you have not received a housing offer by mid-July, we highly recommend that you consider other forms of housing. Visit our for helpful information.