Support for Each Successful Applicant
- A Student Mobility Scholarship from the University of Ottawa ($1,000);
- Scholarship from Ministry Of Education in China;
- Waived tuition and applications fees at Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- A 3000 yuan (≈ $600) per month stipend;
- Free accommodations (University housing); and
- Free medical insurance*.
*Please note that the medical insurance provided does not meet the University of Ottawa’s suggested coverage for students travelling abroad. It is strongly suggested that students who plan to participate in this program obtain their own medical and travel insurance before going to study in China.
General Research Internship Information
- Duration: 6 weeks, from July 9 to August 21, 2020
- Chinese Host University: Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Language of Instruction: English
- In-Lab Instructional Hours: 20 hours per week (5 hours of lecture and 15 hours of lab work)
- Chinese language and culture courses: 3 hours per week
- Grade Distribution: Attendance (10%), Team Project (30%), Mid Term Presentation (30%); Final Written Report (30%)
- Grading: Letter grade
- Full time student at the University of Ottawa;
- Be a citizen of Canada;
- Be in the third or fourth year of an undergraduate program;
- Have a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 7.5; and
- Meet the specific skills required by the instructor if any for the research internship selected.
If you are already receiving a scholarship from the China Scholarship Council, you will not be eligible to receive CLIC financial support. Priority will be given to students with academic excellence based on their CGPA.
Peruse the list of research internships.
- Submit a complete application package to , including:
- Student’s letter of intent: The student’s letter of intent must explain the reasons for his or her interest and what he or she hopes to gain from the experience. The letter should also explain how his or her past experiences and academic background qualify him or her for this internship. Make sure to include your top 5 projects of interest from Step 1;
- A letter of recommendation from a University of Ottawa faculty member; and
- Transcript (PDF format from uoZone is accepted).
Only complete applications will be considered.
Deadline for submission: February 14, 2020
The Centre for Research Opportunities will contact only the selected participants by April 30th, 2020. Full acceptance into a research internship is conditional upon acceptance by Shanghai Jiao Tong and CLIC.
If you are selected, the next deadlines come up quickly, therefore we suggest that you get all the additional documents required ready prior to approval for the office.
The list of additional documents required from both partners, if selected, are as follows:
The Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC)
- Statement of Studies
- Photocopy of Passport Picture Page
- University of Ottawa transcript
- Study Plan: a brief outline of the courses you are taking, cultural events or places you will be visiting, and expected outcomes of your studies in China.
- Letter of Recommendation provided by the Centre for Research Opportunities
- Short letter confirming that your health is good enough to study in China
The Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU):
- A scan of the identification page of your passport (passport must be valid for at least 6 more months for the visa application)
- ID photo (similar to a passport photo)
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Motivation letter (Give a brief overview of your motivation for studying in China and at SJTU; explain how the research internship fits into your larger degree requirements and, if possible, future plans; explain the expected outcomes regarding knowledge and live experience)
- Recommendation letter (written by a professor)
- Report on your past research experience (if applicable)
- Language proficiency certificate (if required)
Once you have been selected, here are the following steps
Deadline for submission : TBD
The uOttawa links goes to the International office, therefore not for Research internships. Visit the Centre for Research Opportunities website for more information.
Deadline for submission : TBD
Once you are formally accepted to a CLIC research internship you must obtain a letter of permission from your faculty. You are responsible for all costs associated with this document.