What is the exchange program?
The University of Ottawa-Carleton University exchange program is a credit transfer program that allows University of Ottawa students to take courses at Carleton University and vice-versa. Unlike with courses you take at another university through a letter of permission, you receive a letter grade for courses completed at Carleton, which counts towards your cumulative grade point average (CGPA).
Who is eligible?
These eligibility criteria are for undergraduate students.
To be eligible for the Carleton University exchange program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be admitted to a program of studies at the University of Ottawa;
- Be enrolled at the University of Ottawa for the term during which the exchange will occur;
- Be in good ;
- Have your faculty’s or school’s approval;
In addition, you can only register for a course at Carleton University if
- this course is mandatory for your program and it meets University of Ottawa degree requirements
- this course is not available at the University of Ottawa and taking the course at Carleton would allow you to complete your program requirements during the current academic year
- an equivalent course is not available at the University of Ottawa during the same academic year or the course is full
- you have passed any prerequisite courses
How to participate in the exchange program?
1) Make sure there are no conflicts with your University of Ottawa courses
Check the to know when the Carleton course is offered. Then, before your first class, check your timetable online through Carleton Central to be sure that you have the most up to date information about your course.
2) Complete and submit the application form
When you submit the , it will automatically go to us for review. If your request is accepted, we will sign the form and return it to you via your @uOttawa.ca email address. Allow 20 business days for this review to take place. Note that approval does not guarantee access to a course.
3) Get approval from Carleton University
We also recommend you send an unofficial copy of your transcript at this time as most departments will require it to prove you have the prerequisites. To obtain a copy, log into and under the Applications tab, select Unofficial transcript. Carleton may also ask you to meet other registration requirements.
If your registration is approved, Carleton will sign your form and send it back to you.
4) Send your signed form to InfoService
Once you get your form signed by Carleton University, email it to InfoService at [email protected] to finalize your registration. You must do this by the . At this point, you must also pay the required fees.
Important: If you wish to add another course for the same term once you’ve submitted the original request, just fill out another application form.
Course withdrawal or exchange cancellation
To withdraw from a course or cancel your enrolment at Carleton, fill out the application form. In the “Courses” section, under “Type of request,” select “Course(s) drop” and enter the course information. The form will be automatically sent to us and we will send it back to you filled.
Once you receive it, email it to Carleton University ([email protected]) by the , not those at uOttawa.