The Director of Academic Support must:
- Be a faculty member in good standing.
- Possess leadership ability.
- Possess ability to negotiate, mediate conflicts and advocate for additional training where appropriate.
- Possess strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Be familiar with PGME evaluation policies and procedures.
- Be familiar with Faculty of Medicine policies on appeals
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the intrinsic CanMEDS roles as well as various methods to teach and assess knowledge, skills and attitudes in these areas
- Has completed Crucial Conversations, and Crucial Accountability courses.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works closely with Program Directors to identify learning issues, training needs and to develop learning plans.
- Acts as a resource person for Program Directors in assisting them with understanding various tools and methodologies employable when remediating learning issues.
- Provides resources such as tools and methodologies, to assist with remediating learning issues identified by Program Directors when required.
- Assists Program Directors in understanding and implementing the process of remediation or probation
- Assists Program Directors in writing robust learning plans utilizing the SMART methodology to set clear and realistic objectives.
- Assists the Program Director with the documentation of difficult cases.
- Suggests appropriate teaching methods and methods of evaluation.
- Assists in establishing benchmarks for learning with the Program Director.
- Ensures fairness and establishes transparency for trainee throughout the remediation or probation process.
- Provides ongoing support to the program director and trainee throughout the period of remediation or probation
- Checks in with the program director on a regular basis to ensure the plan is being followed
- Is a member of the Postgraduate Medical Education Committee (PGEC) as an ex-officio member.
- Provides a yearly report on activities to the Vice Dean and Asst Dean, PGME
The Director of Academic Support will be remunerated at the rate of $ 25,000.00 per year.
Invoices will be submitted on a monthly basis for payment, and must include supporting details such as dates and duration of meetings with Program Director and/or trainee and other members of the PGME leadership team.
- The Director of Academic Support will be appointed by the Vice-Dean, PGME.
- The appointment will be for 5 years once renewable, and may cease at any point in time with 2 weeks notice from either party.
Last updated: June 9, 2016