In our programs, students receive outstanding academic and professional training that leads to career opportunities in a wide range of fields. Graduates find employment in federal government departments, leading and emerging private sectors and in academia all over the world.
Conduct leading-edge research
As a joint graduate institute, our program combines the strengths of the Biology departments at both uOttawa and Carleton University. The Ottawa-Carleton Institute for Biology offers advanced courses and hosts an Annual Research Days symposium, which alternates between campuses. Students can conduct research in diverse areas:
- Biodiversity and Evolutionary Biology
- Environmental Toxicology
- Comparative Physiology
- Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology
Access world-renowned laboratories
- Aquatics facility for fish and amphibians
- Facilities for lab rodents, naked mole rats and insects
- A green house that sits atop the main building
- Laboratory for natural and synthetic environmental toxins
- Core molecular biology laboratory
- Cellular imaging and cytometry facility
With Ottawa’s abundant greenspaces, forests and lakes, our state-of-the-art laboratories give students the opportunity to do fieldwork in nearby natural ecosystems.