The DRC is a five-year non-renewable term following a positive recommendation from the Faculty Dean and from the (RCEC). Chairholders receive a $35,000 annual research stipend for the duration of the chair.
Nomination dossiers are to be submitted by Faculty Deans to the Office of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation and are adjudicated by the RCEC.
The nomination dossier, including external evaluations, is assessed based on the following criteria:
- The level of research excellence and productivity achieved by the nominee;
- The level of impact and international recognition in the field;
- The ability to have successfully attracted and retained excellent students, trainees and future researchers; and plans to do so in the next chair mandate;
- The relevance of the proposed research program in relation to the ;
- The originality and quality of the proposed research program, and the efforts to promote equity, diversity and inclusion in research.